- Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a commonly inherited disease.
- Carrier Screening for Men and Women who are considering pregnancy is now available through CBS Labs.
- With a simple blood test prospective parents can find out if they are carriers for this disease.
- CBS Labs Cystic Fibrosis test, conducted by Next Generation Sequencing is designed to detect 139 CFTR variants as defined in the CFTR2 database. Other methods test only for those variants most commonly found in Caucasians, potentially missing CF-causing variants across broader ethnic groups. The CBS Labs Cystic Fibrosis 139-Variant Assay offers the largest CF variant panel available to overcome this bias and provide comprehensive detection across diverse demographics. This results in the most complete answer the first time, reducing residual risk.
- The variants include those recommended in 2004 by the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG) and in 2011 by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).
- The test is intended for carrier screening in adults of reproductive age, in confirmatory diagnostic testing of newborns and children, and as an initial test to aid in the diagnosis of individuals with suspected cystic fibrosis.